History/ Historia


Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church is a historic church built in 1901 by a German Lutheran congregation southwest of the Walker's Point neighborhood of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.[2] It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.La Iglesia Evangélica Luterana de Cristo es una iglesia histórica construida en 1901 por una congregación luterana alemana al suroeste del vecindario Walker's Point de Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Está incluido en el Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos.
 

History

Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded in 1884 by thirteen families who were peacefully released from St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Services were initially conducted in a private residence. Later in 1884, Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church erected a wooden building east of the present church. This structure housed both church and school until 1901 and the school until the early 1970s.La Iglesia Evangélica Luterana de Cristo fue fundada en 1884 por trece familias que fueron liberadas pacíficamente de la Iglesia Evangélica Luterana de San Pedro. Los servicios se llevaron a cabo inicialmente en una residencia privada. Más tarde, en 1884, la Iglesia Evangélica Luterana de Cristo erigió un edificio de madera al este de la iglesia actual. Esta estructura albergó tanto la iglesia como la escuela hasta 1901 y la escuela hasta principios de la década de 1970

The church was designed by architect Frederick Velguth in the German Gothic Revival style and built in 1901.[3] Akin to Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church across the Menomonee River, it features a landmark spire and sandstone details on the façade. Construction of the church started early in 1901 and was almost complete for the December 1, 1901 dedication, although the heating system was not finished and the trumpets froze in the cold church.La iglesia fue diseñada por el arquitecto Frederick Velguth en estilo neogótico alemán y construida en 1901.[3] Similar a la Iglesia Evangélica Luterana Trinity al otro lado del río Menomonee, presenta una aguja emblemática y detalles de piedra arenisca en la fachada. La construcción de la iglesia comenzó a principios de 1901 y estaba casi completa para la dedicación del 1 de diciembre de 1901, aunque el sistema de calefacción no estaba terminado y las trompetas se congelaron en la fría iglesia.
 

In 1884, the church called the Rev. Heinrich Bergmann, then 25, as pastor. He served until his death in 1923. Bergmann's son, the Rev. Paul Bergmann, then served until his death in 1941.

The interior of the large, red-brick church is a century of art. Pews from the 1884 church are in the balcony. The 1901 pews are on the main floor, next to the large stained-glass windows from the same era. The altar, pulpit, lectern and a false door, as well as the roof and the cross atop the steeple are from the late 1940s.
En 1884, la iglesia llamó al reverendo Heinrich Bergmann, entonces de 25 años, como pastor. Sirvió hasta su muerte en 1923. El hijo de Bergmann, el reverendo Paul Bergmann, sirvió hasta su muerte en 1941.
 

The ceiling of the church, which contains gold leafing, is from 1984, as are the crosses painted on the walls behind the altar and many of the light fixtures.

One unique feature of the church is the basement windows, cut in the west wall at an angle to maximize the afternoon sun.El interior de la gran iglesia de ladrillo rojo es un siglo de arte. Los bancos de la iglesia de 1884 están en el balcón. Los bancos de 1901 están en el piso principal, junto a las grandes vidrieras de la misma época. El altar, el púlpito, el atril y una puerta falsa, así como el techo y la cruz sobre la espadaña son de finales de la década de 1940.
El techo de la iglesia, que contiene pan de oro, es de 1984, al igual que las cruces pintadas en las paredes detrás del altar y muchas de las lámparas.
 
Una característica única de la iglesia son las ventanas del sótano, cortadas en ángulo en la pared oeste para maximizar el sol de la tarde
.